Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Teambuilding mashup?


I originally wanted to focus my blog on the theme of using technology to improve student management. One aspect of student management that I have found challenging was to get my students to think of each other as a "team." This can be especially hard at the beginning of Fall semester when I usually have 3 to 5 new student assistants who are meeting their coworkers for the first time at our scheduling meeting.


Also, the idea of being a team is particularly difficult with my desk staff because they never overlap shifts and only see each other during shift changes. However, the idea of being a team is an important one because I want them to want to help each other when someone needs their shift covered and also with the idea of pitching in equally to complete tasks that need to be done on a daily basis (shelving books, stamping due date cards, clean the desk area, cleaning white boards in our group study rooms, etc. etc.). Besides encouraging them to help each other out, I try (on a meager budget) to have a couple of social gatherings each semester.


That said, I wanted to see what you think of the idea of using the jigsaw application at my scheduling meeting. I thought I could print it out and give the pieces to the students and have them collaborate to put it together. Here's the puzzle I created from my most recent pic of my student staff (Three of my new student were not available for the pic so I missing a few, and the date is incorrect.) I am thinking this would be great "team building" exercise especially for a library that has a larger staff. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! It sounds like it will really be great for them to actually put themselves together as a group! It is too bad that not all of them could be in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teambuilding program helpful when you are working on a team.

    ReplyDelete