Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thing 1 and Thing 2 of "23 Things"

Yahoo! Avatars

As the current student manager at a college library, I hope to use this "23 Things" experience to explore ways to use Web 2.0 application to improve student management. My Technology for Educators course through Clarion has come in good time as I will be doing a presentation at a national conference in the fall. My presentation is using technology to improve student management.

Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind
Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning
Habit 3: View problems as challenges
Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox
Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage
Habit 7: Teach/mentor others
Habit 7 ½: Play

Looking at these 7 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners, I have to say that the hardest ones for me to follow are numbers 3 and 4. Sometimes I get frustrated when something doesn't go the way that I had hoped so I don't always see problems as challenges at first. I do come around usually, and I do like to problem solve once I get over the initial disappointment. Though my confidence in myself has improved, number 4 would be my second hardest.

I am interested in seeing what others find easy/difficult. The rest of the habits are things that I feel I do naturally as I have always had a love of learning. Therefore, I find it most easy to accept responsibility for my own learning. As a student manager, I put prime importance on teaching and mentoring my student assistants and like them to feel that they can come to me for professional advice. I also like to help are student patrons with becoming familiar with our library's resources and troubleshooting their technical problems.

My learning contract goal is to follow some technology blogs or other technology site using RSS feeds. This is one of those things I have been meaning to do but just haven't got around to. My obstacles are time and stress, but I WILL be making the time. I really shouldn't have a problem achieving this goal as my only necessary tools will be the internet and my e-mail account, and I have plenty of resources including the internet (YouTube), our Systems Librarian and System Admistrator here at the library who will definitely be able to suggest some good ones to follow, and my many textbooks.
I will let you know how I achieve my goal and what sites I choose to follow.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to School Library Learning 2.0. Enjoy your discovery learning adventure!

    Greetings from California.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your presentation! That sounds scary AND exciting!

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, it is both frightening and exciting at the same time. Thanks, Martha, I always participating with you in class.

    ReplyDelete